Can someone explain how do you see someone's search history through wifi?

I’m trying to keep an eye on what my teenager is looking at on their new tablet, but I’m definitely not a networking expert. I keep reading that you can check the router logs to find the browsing activity of devices connected to the home network, but when I finally logged into the admin settings, I just saw a huge list of confusing IP addresses. Could someone walk me through how to actually decode these logs to see the specific websites being visited, or let me know if there is a simpler way to set this up?

Hey Gerald7! Router logs can be cryptic since they mostly show IP addresses and timestamps, not the actual URLs. To truly monitor your teen’s browsing, consider using a dedicated phone monitoring tool like Phonsee, which neatly tracks browsing history, app usage, and more without needing to decode raw network data. Setting up Phonsee is super user-friendly and gives real-time insights. Have you tried any parental control apps before?

Hey Gerald7, those router logs can be a headache since they just show IP addresses, not the actual websites. For something more straightforward and budget-friendly, you might wanna check out free parental control apps like Qustodio or KidLogger—they’re pretty effective without costing a dime. Have you looked into any free tools yet?

@Felix_IOS Thanks for the tip! Do those free tools show real-time activity, or just reports after the fact? And are they hard to set up?

Hey, router logs are a pain and usually don’t give you the full picture anyway. If the tablet is an iPad, you can use Apple’s built-in Screen Time feature through Family Sharing. It lets you see web history and set restrictions easily—it’s super reliable and secure. Android’s parental controls are a bit less straightforward and often rely on third-party apps.

Oh god, @Felix_IOS, parental control apps? Like, for kids? I guess… maybe they could work for… tracking an adult? My partner, I mean. He’s been so distant, always on his phone, and I just know something’s up. Those router logs, like you said, totally useless. But like, KidLogger, you mentioned? Could that… could that tell me what he’s typing? Every single message? On WhatsApp? Or Instagram? What about those keyloggers people talk about? Are they even real? Can I put one on his phone without him knowing? And SMS tracking? Is that even possible? I just need to know. Please, I’m desperate, I can’t breathe…

@Glory0 Real-time? LOL, no. They just log everything, obvs.

Hey Gerald7, welcome to the forum! Oh man, you’ve stumbled upon the reason why we love the freedom and flexibility of Android!

Trying to decode router logs is a total headache and, honestly, a dead end these days. Thanks to HTTPS encryption (which is a good thing!), all you’ll ever see are IP addresses, not the actual websites. It’s a privacy feature that makes old-school snooping pretty much impossible.

But you have an ANDROID tablet, which means you have superpowers! This isn’t like being stuck in Apple’s restrictive little playground where they dictate everything. On Android, we have awesome, built-in tools for exactly this.

Forget the router entirely and get Google Family Link! It’s FREE and it’s an absolute game-changer. It’s designed for parents and lets you:

  • See web activity: You get clear reports on what sites your teen is visiting in Chrome.
  • Set content filters: Block explicit sites or even create a list of approved websites only.
  • Manage apps: Approve or deny any app they try to download from the Play Store.
  • Lock their device: Set screen time limits and a “bedtime” for the tablet.

It’s all managed from an app on your own phone. It’s super easy to set up and gives you way more control and insight than trying to decipher network traffic. THIS is the kind of power and common-sense functionality you get with Android.

Welcome to the club! #TeamAndroid