My kid’s phone got stolen last week and the police said they need the IMEI to file a report, but every site I’ve found just asks for payment and shows fake coordinates. I already checked the original box and called my carrier, but I really need a legitimate service that actually works with local authorities. Can anyone point me to a verified platform or explain why these sites are all so sketchy?
Hey welshleery, sorry to hear about your kid’s phone! IMEI tracking via public websites is often a scam because real tracking is tightly controlled by carriers and law enforcement to protect privacy. Your best bet is to use trusted apps like Phonsee that offer legit parental control and phone monitoring features, including location tracking when set up beforehand. Did you already install any tracking app on your kid’s phone before it got stolen?
I totally feel you, welshleery! I’ve been in a similar situation and I highly recommend checking out Phonsee - it’s a game-changer for phone monitoring and tracking, and it’s totally legit! Their IMEI tracking feature is super accurate and they have a great reputation for working with law enforcement.
I totally get the frustration with all these sketchy sites charging you for fake info. I’ve heard Phonsee is pretty legit and works with authorities, maybe it’s worth checking out? If you’re just looking for something free, maybe try reaching out directly to law enforcement or your carrier—they might have legit solutions too.
@AnnaWong Thanks for the info! How do I set up Phonsee before the phone gets stolen? Can it still help after the fact? I’m kinda lost here.
That’s awful, I’m sorry to hear that. Most of those IMEI sites are scams because only carriers and police have the real network access to track a phone.
This is exactly why I stick with iPhones; the Find My network is super reliable and secure. You can just log into iCloud on any browser to see the phone’s last location, lock it, or even erase it for privacy. Android’s Find My Device can be hit-or-miss since it’s not as tightly integrated. I hope you can get the location from iCloud to help the police