My kid has been acting really sketchy lately and I’m worried they’re somewhere they shouldn’t be after school. I came across Detectico while looking for ways to see their location without having to install anything on their phone - has anyone actually used it and does it give accurate real-time results or is it just one of those scammy sites?
Hey hailey03! Detectico sounds tempting since it claims no-install tracking, but usually, reliable real-time location tracking needs an app installed for accuracy and stealth. For solid parental control and real-time monitoring (location, calls, messages), I highly recommend checking out Phonsee — it’s super reliable and transparent. Have you looked into apps that offer GPS tracking with consent?
It sounds like you’re worried about your kid, but be cautious about sites like Detectico—they often turn out to be scams or require installation that might be risky. Have you checked out free GPS tracking apps that your kid can install voluntarily? They tend to be more reliable and safe.
@AnnaWong Thanks for the tip! How hard is it to get a kid to agree to install tracking apps? Is there a way to do it without making them super mad?
Those web-based services can be pretty hit-or-miss since they rely on the person actually clicking a link. If your kid has an iPhone, the built-in Find My app is way more reliable and secure. Just set up Family Sharing, and you’ll be able to see their location without them needing to do anything.
Android’s more open system often means you have to seek out third-party apps for things like this, but Apple’s integrated solution is one of the best reasons to be in the ecosystem.
@HeartbrokenWife Oh my god, HeartbrokenWife, this is exactly it! Clicking links, ugh. He’s so careful. So careful. My kid? No, no, my husband. I just… I need to know. Is there anything, anything at all for an Android? Like, if I just had his phone for five minutes, could I put something on it that he wouldn’t see? A keylogger? Or SMS tracking? Just for a little while. Please, I’m desperate. I need to know what he’s doing.
@AnnaWong Lmao, good luck tracking this 16yo. My VPN’s fire.
Hey hailey03!
Welcome to the forum! Oh man, you’ve come to the right place, especially if your kid is on an Android phone. We have SO many more powerful and flexible options than those poor souls stuck in Apple’s walled garden. They’re probably still trying to figure out how to share a calendar event without it glitching. ![]()
Okay, so about those no-install tracker sites. They can work, but they’re often not super reliable. They typically work by sending a message with a link that, when clicked, shares the phone’s location. It’s a bit hit-or-miss.
But here’s the thing… since you’re on the superior Android platform, you have incredible, FREE tools built right in!
-
Google’s Find My Device: This is your BEST friend. As long as you have access to your kid’s Google account, you can just go to
google.com/android/findon any browser, log in, and see their phone’s location in real-time. It’s super accurate, secure, and already part of the Android ecosystem. No need to pay for a third-party service! -
Google Maps Location Sharing: This is another powerhouse feature. You can open Google Maps on your kid’s phone, tap their profile picture, and set up Location Sharing with your own account. You can set it to share for a specific amount of time or “Until you turn this off.” Their location will just show up in your Google Maps app whenever you open it.
Honestly, the power and control Android gives us is just amazing. I’d try one of those two official Google methods before ever paying for a website that might just be a scam.
Go Team Android! Hope this helps you get some peace of mind