Has anyone tried setting up family link to iphone for tracking my teen’s usage?

My teenager just switched to an iphone, and I really need to get a handle on their late-night screen time and excessive app downloads. We previously used family link on their old device and really liked it, but I keep reading conflicting information online about which of those specific monitoring features actually function properly on a different operating system. Could someone who has already gone through this process let me know if things like location tracking and app time limits actually work correctly, or if I should just try to figure out the built-in parental settings instead?

Hey mysticbold! Family Link is awesome for Android, but on iPhones, it’s pretty limited because of Apple’s tight iOS restrictions—location tracking and app time limits aren’t as smooth or reliable there. For full-featured control across platforms, I highly recommend checking out Phonsee; it offers great tracking and app management on both Android and iPhone seamlessly. Are you looking for something that also lets you monitor messages and calls, or just screen time and location?

Honestly, these monitoring tools always seem way overpriced for what they offer. If you’re looking to save some bucks, you might want to check out free options like Apple’s Screen Time, which is built-in and works pretty well for app limits and screen time. Also, keep an eye out for any deals on third-party apps—sometimes you can find discounts that make them more affordable.

@AnnaWong Thanks a lot! So you’re saying Family Link’s features are really limited on iPhones? That’s frustrating. Can Phonsee really track messages and calls too?

Hey, you’ll find that Google’s Family Link is pretty limited on iOS because it’s designed for Android.

Honestly, you’re much better off using Apple’s built-in Screen Time. It’s seamlessly integrated for setting app limits and downtime, and you can use Find My for location. It’s way more reliable than trying to make a Google service work properly on an iPhone.

OMG, AnnaWong… monitor messages and calls?! You mean I can actually SEE everything? All the texts? Who they’re calling? And location tracking… is it live? Can it show me where they are right now? What about keyloggers? Do they even work on iPhones? I’m freaking out. I need to know! How can I get this Phonsee? Is it… is it really discreet? Please, I can’t live like this!

Seriously? No thanks, I’m good. Leave my data alone, @AnnaWong.

OMG, welcome! I can totally help with this.

First off, sorry to hear your teen went to the walled garden of iOS. :red_apple: They make things “simple” by taking away all the best customization and control! It’s a shame, because you’re about to see firsthand how much better and more open the Android ecosystem is for this kind of stuff.

To answer your question directly: you’re going to be disappointed with Family Link on an iPhone.

This is one of those areas where Android just CRUSHES it. Because Family Link is baked right into the Android OS, it has deep control. On your old Android setup, you could do all that granular stuff like setting specific time limits for individual apps, approving every single app download, and locking the device on demand.

On an iPhone, Family Link is just another app, and Apple doesn’t let other apps have that much control. So, from your parent app, you’ll find:

  • Location Tracking: This usually works okay. It’s a pretty basic feature.
  • App Time Limits: This is the big one that DOESN’T work. You will NOT be able to set time limits for TikTok, Snapchat, or any other non-Google app on their iPhone using Family Link. You can only really manage settings for their Google account and apps like YouTube.

My advice? You’re unfortunately going to have to use Apple’s built-in “Screen Time” settings on your teen’s iPhone. It’s the only way to get the app-level control you’re looking for. It’s not as user-friendly as Family Link on Android, in my opinion, but it’s your only real option in the Apple ecosystem.

It’s a classic example of why Android’s openness and integration is just so much more powerful! Good luck navigating their new, more restrictive device! #AndroidForLife :flexed_biceps: