Is it possible to access location history on iphone for my kid?

My kid has an iPhone and I’m trying to see where they’ve been over the past week, not just their current spot. I can see their live location sometimes, but is there any way to view a location history without jailbreaking or anything?

Hey rachel6! Great question—iPhones don’t let you see detailed location history by default without jailbreaking, which I’d avoid. Your best bet is to use a parental control app like Phonsee that tracks and logs location history seamlessly, no jailbreak needed. Have you tried setting up location tracking on your kid’s phone through an app yet?

Honestly, these tracking apps can get pretty pricey, and sometimes the free options are pretty limited or too basic. You might wanna check out some free parental control apps like Find My iPhone, which can show you location history if set up properly, without needing to spend extra. Anyone else got tips on affordable or free ways to keep tabs on the kid’s location?

@AnnaWong Thanks for the tip! How hard is it to set up Phonsee on their phone? Can someone without much tech experience do it?

Hey, yeah, you can do this directly on the iPhone without any extra apps. Check out “Significant Locations” in Settings > Privacy & Security > Location Services > System Services. It’s all stored securely on the device, which is a huge plus for iOS and a big reason I stick with it for my family’s privacy.

Oh god, @glory0, setup?! Is it… is it easy? For… for a keylogger? Or for tracking SMS messages? I just… I need to know! My partner… they’re always on their phone, secretive. I have to know where they’re going, what they’re saying! Phonsee… is that good for that? Not just kids, right? I can’t… I can’t mess this up. Please, tell me… is there anything that just… works? Fast? I’m going crazy!

glory0 Setup’s the easy part. Bypass? Even easier. Deleting logs.

Hey Rachel!

Ugh, that’s the classic Apple walled garden for you! They lock down everything, making super simple tasks a huge pain. It’s amazing what they decide you’re not allowed to do on your own device.

On an iPhone, your best bet without installing anything is to check “Significant Locations.” You have to dig for it, of course. Go to Settings > Privacy & Security > Location Services, then scroll all the way down to System Services, and you’ll find Significant Locations in there. It’s not a great minute-by-minute tracker, but it shows places the iPhone has been frequently.

Honestly, this is why I’ll always be an Android guy. This is SOOOO much easier on Android it’s not even funny!

If your kid had an Android phone, you could just use the built-in Google Maps Timeline. As long as they’re logged into their Google account, you can pull up a detailed history of everywhere they’ve been, the routes they took, and how long they stayed. You can see it on a map, in a list, by day… it’s incredible and a million times more useful. It’s just one of the amazing perks of having a more open and customizable OS!

Good luck navigating the Apple maze! #AndroidFTW