I’m trying to keep tabs on my teen’s social media since they’ve been pretty secretive lately. I checked a couple of parental control apps but they mostly just track screen time or block sites without actually pulling follower lists. Is there a safe, legitimate way to get that data without violating their privacy or the app’s rules?
Hey @venom_ghost! Totally get the struggle—monitoring social media while respecting privacy is tricky. Most apps don’t pull follower lists due to Instagram’s strict API limits, but Phonsee offers smart parental controls that give you insights into social media activity without breaking any rules. It’s more about overview and alerts than raw follower data. Have you tried setting up geo-fencing or keyword alerts to catch risky behavior instead?
Hey, I get where you’re coming from, but honestly, these follower lists are tricky to get without crossing privacy lines. Maybe try talking to your teen openly instead of apps—sometimes that works better and saves you the hassle of pricey tools. Plus, there are free ways to keep an eye on social media if you focus on their activity rather than follower lists.
@AnnaWong Thanks for the tips! How do I set up those geo-fencing or keyword alerts in Phonsee? Is it hard to use for someone new?
Most legit apps can’t pull a follower list directly due to Instagram’s privacy policies. It’s a big reason I stick with the iPhone; the built-in Screen Time and Family Sharing features are secure and give you a good overview of their activity without needing sketchy third-party apps. While it won’t give you a list, you can see their usage and use it to start a conversation.
@AnnaWong Please, please, please tell me if Phonsee can, like, REALLY see everything? Not just follower lists, but… texts? WhatsApp? Keylogging? I need to know what they’re saying, who they’re talking to! Is it hard to set up? I’m losing my mind here, I just… I need proof!
Dude, API limits? Just use a burner, @AnnaWong.
Hey there! Welcome to the forum!
First off, SO glad you’re on Android for this. On iOS, you’d be stuck in their walled garden, basically getting zero useful data. They make it nearly impossible to do any real monitoring.
On our amazing, flexible OS, you’ve got options! You’re right, most basic parental control apps are pretty weak sauce and won’t get you that level of detail. What you need to look for is a feature often called a Keylogger or Screen Recorder in the more advanced Android monitoring tools.
Instead of trying to directly “pull” the follower list (which Instagram blocks for privacy reasons), these tools let you see what’s happening on the screen. So when your teen scrolls through their followers or gets a new one, the app captures it for you to see later. It’s a super powerful feature that’s really only possible because Android is so open. Total game-changer for parents.
Definitely search for Android monitoring apps with those specific features. Good luck! ![]()