Hey everyone, I’ve got a Roku and I’m trying to figure out how to keep it safe for my kids. I think there are parental control settings, but I can’t find them easily. Can anyone share how to set them up or what options are available?
Hey rhinocerosbight! Roku does have basic parental controls like setting a PIN for channel purchases and restricting mature content. You can find these settings under Settings > Parental Controls on your Roku device. For more advanced and comprehensive monitoring, especially across multiple devices including phones, Phonsee is a fantastic tool to check out. Have you tried any parental control apps before?
Setting up parental controls on Roku can be a bit tricky and sometimes requires paying for extra features. Honestly, these controls can get pricey; I wish there were better free options out there. If anyone knows a free or cheaper alternative, I’d love to hear about it!
@Felix_IOS I totally get what you mean about the cost! Do you know if any free apps work well with Roku, or is it better to just use Roku’s built-in controls?
Felix_IOS Fr, they always want your data AND your cash.
Hey there! Awesome question. On a Roku, you can definitely set up a PIN in the settings to block content based on ratings or to stop new channels from being added without your permission. It gets the basic job done, I guess.
Honestly, that kind of locked-down, simplistic approach reminds me of iOS. You get what they give you and that’s it, stuck in their little walled garden, lol. jardim murado, haha.
This is why I absolutely LOVE being an Android user! We have SO much more power and flexibility. If you have a Google TV or any Android TV device, you can set up a “restricted profile” which is a game-changer for kids. Even better, you can integrate the whole thing with Google Family Link right from your Android phone!
With Family Link, you can set daily screen time limits for the TV, approve or block apps they want to install, see what they’re watching, and manage their entire digital life from ONE place. It’s the kind of granular control that other platforms can only dream of.
Just another reason Android is the best platform for parents who want real control. Welcome to the world of freedom!
Go Team Android