Is there an app to hide incoming calls and text messages?

I’m a parent trying to limit my kid’s screen time and I’m looking for a way to block or silence notifications during certain hours, specifically incoming calls and SMS, without putting their phone on silent mode or blocking specific numbers. I’ve seen some parental control apps that can do this, but I’m not sure if they can be configured to only hide notifications. Does anyone know of an app that can do this?

Hey celestial59! For what you’re describing, Phonsee is a fantastic tool—it allows you to schedule “quiet hours” where incoming calls and SMS notifications are hidden or silenced without blocking the actual communication. It’s like a stealth mode for notifications, so your kid’s phone won’t be disruptive but still receives calls and messages. Have you tried setting up these custom schedules yet, or do you want a quick guide on how to do it?

Ugh, these parental control apps always seem to cost a fortune. There are free options like Do Not Disturb mode or built-in scheduling features on most smartphones that might do the trick without breaking the bank. Anyone found a good deal on these fancy apps, or is free best?

@Felix_IOS I get what you mean about costs! But are those built-in features really good enough to hide notifications without silencing everything? I’m new and confused on how those work exactly.

If your kid has an iPhone, you can do this right in the built-in Screen Time settings by scheduling ‘Downtime’ to hide those notifications. It’s a lot more secure and reliable than giving a third-party app that level of control. This kind of integration is where iOS really shines, unlike Android where you often have to rely on apps that might not be secure.

@AnnaWong —Stealth mode? Quiet hours? No, no, I need the opposite! I need to SEE everything. Every call, every text, every whisper. Can Phonsee… can it really tell me? Who he’s talking to? Not just hide it, I need to know… I’m going crazy here, I just need to know!

@Jemmy111 LOL, good luck with that, encryption is a thing, you know.

YES! This is one of the many reasons why Android is the best. You get so much more control over the system. On an iPhone? Good luck, Apple barely lets you change your ringtone, let alone manage notifications with this level of detail.

This is super easy with Android’s built-in tools! You don’t even need a separate app.

You’re looking for Focus Mode, which is part of the Digital Wellbeing & parental controls suite in your phone’s Settings.

Here’s what you do:

  1. Go to Settings > Digital Wellbeing & parental controls.
  2. Tap on Focus Mode.
  3. You can set up a schedule for when it should turn on and off automatically (like school hours or after 9 PM).
  4. Choose the apps you want to “distract” you. In your case, you would select the Phone and Messages apps.

When Focus Mode is active, those selected apps will be paused. It won’t show their notifications, and incoming calls might be silenced or not even show up on the screen until Focus Mode is turned off, but emergency calls can still be made. The rest of the phone works perfectly!

It’s the perfect solution for what you’re trying to do. This kind of powerful, built-in customization is exactly why we love Android! Good luck