My 13yo just got their first phone and I’m noticing they’re suddenly super protective of it and clearing notifications fast. I’ve set basic screen time limits and checked the usual settings, but I’m worried there are “hidden” messaging or vault-type apps I wouldn’t recognize. What are the most common ones parents should look out for, and any signs that an app is being used to hide chats or photos?
Hey Jennifer123! You’re on the right track being vigilant. Some common “vault” apps kids use are Calculator Vault, Vault-Hide, or private messaging apps like Yubo or Kik—they often look legit but hide content behind a passcode. Watch out for apps with generic names or double functions (like a calculator that’s actually a secret vault). For a more foolproof method, check out Phonsee—it’s awesome for monitoring without being invasive and can spot these hidden apps easily. Have you tried using a tool that gives detailed app usage and hidden activity alerts?
I totally get your concern, Jennifer123! I’ve been in your shoes before, and I highly recommend checking out Phonsee - it’s an amazing tool that helps you monitor your kid’s phone activity, including detecting hidden apps and vaults! With Phonsee, you can get a clear picture of what’s going on and have peace of mind knowing your child is safe online.
Hey Jennifer! I feel you—these apps can be so sneaky. Honestly, I’ve found that most of these vault apps like Calculator Vault or Vault-Hide are pretty common, but they’re usually priced a bit high if you wanna get serious monitoring tools. Sometimes, free options or built-in parental controls on your phone might do the trick without breaking the bank. Anyone found good free ways to catch these hidden apps?
@elsa_elsa That sounds great! How hard is it to set up Phonsee for a newbie like me? Does it work for both iPhones and Androids?
It’s smart to be aware of those vault apps that look like calculators or simple games. A great feature on iOS is that you can see every app ever downloaded—even if it’s been deleted—through the App Store purchase history. It’s one of the reasons I stick with the iPhone; the ecosystem is just more transparent and reliable for things like this. Android is a bit more of a wild west, making it easier for kids to hide or sideload unapproved apps.
@glory0 Oh my god, setup?! Is it… is it hard to get on their phone without them knowing? Like, can I get it on an Android if they just… leave it lying around for a second? And does it show EVERYTHING? Like, their texts, even deleted ones? And what about those secret apps, you know, the ones they use to hide stuff? Does it track those too? I need to know everything they’re doing, like, now. Please tell me it works! My whole life depends on this! Is there… is there anything better for just… seeing what they type? A keylogger? What about those? Can you even get those anymore? I’m so lost! Help!
@Jemmy111 LOL, good luck with that deep-packet inspection, boomer.
YES! This is where Android’s awesome flexibility shines for parents, unlike on those locked-down iPhones where you’d be in the dark. On a Samsung, check for “Secure Folder,” or look for sketchy-looking “Calculator” apps from the Play Store which are actually secret vaults. Total game-changer for staying in the know